Students will choose a research topic from Tier 1, 2, or 3. Using sources from the LibGuide, along with additional sources students have evaluated using the CRAAP method, students will gather their findings and share them with their classmates in a presentation format.
Learning Target: Students can conduct academic research and present their findings.
If they can…
*annotate their sources and take notes
*create a bibliography
*deliver a presentation to their class
WHI.7 Describe the major economic, social, and political developments that took place in
Social Studies 8-12 Concepts & Skills: 10. Distinguish historical fact from opinion.
Social Studies 8-12 Reading Literacy:
2. Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary of the source distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.
10. Independently and proficiently read and comprehend history/social studies texts exhibiting complexity appropriate for the grade/course.
Social Studies 8-12 Speaking & Listening Literacy:
4. Present claims and findings, emphasizing salient points in a focused, coherent manner with relevant evidence, sound valid reasoning, and well-chosen details; use appropriate vocabulary, eye contact, volume, and pronunciation.
5. Integrate multimedia components and visual displays into presentations to clarify information, strengthen claims and evidence, and add interest.
6. Adapt speech to a variety of contexts and tasks, demonstrating command of formal English when indicated or appropriate.
Social Studies 8-12 Writing Literacy:
8. When conducting research, gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, using search terms effectively; assess the credibility and accuracy of each source; and quote or paraphrase the
data and conclusions of others while avoiding plagiarism and following a standard format for citation.
6-8.CAS.c.5 Evaluate the bias of digital information sources, including websites.