The town of Leicester has decided to build an amusement park. The selectman would like student input on how to design the roller coaster ride. Your goal as student engineers is to design a prototype (model) of a simple roller coaster using your knowledge of energy and its transformations.
Problem: identify a need/problem
Explore: research the problem, brainstorm possible solutions
Select a Solution: Determine which solution best meets the original requirements
Evaluate: construct a prototype or model of your solution, test and evaluate your solution/see how well your model works, redesign your model based upon the results you received
a) Research: Go to the following websites as posted in Google Classroom:
1) How do roller coasters work using energy/energy transformations?: Roller Coaster Physics - Moore Square Middle School
2) What are roller coasters?: Roller Coasters: The Physics Behind the Fun - Video
3) The energy transformations of roller coasters: Roller Coasters: Potential & Kinetic Energy - PBS
4) More details on how roller coasters work: How Roller Coasters Work - Tom Harris
5) Roller coaster model design tips: Marble Roller Coasters - LanceMakes
1. Use the above websites to describe ten facts about roller coaster design in your notebook that will help you to design your roller coaster model.
Title: Roller Coaster Design Facts
2. Share ideas through discussion: Share your findings with your lab partners and class. Add to your notebook ideas during discussion to have the best ideas for your roller coaster design project.
Virtual Roller Coaster Trials: Go to the following websites as posted in Google Classroom.
**Task: Can you use these interactive websites to design a model of a rollercoaster that works? What problems do you encounter as you try to design your coaster?
1) What makes a roller coaster work or fail? Go to the Energy and Motion website:
* Describe what you have learned about roller coaster design in your notebook.
Title: What makes a roller coaster work or fail?
2) Can you design a virtual model of a roller coaster - like skateboard track?
View demonstration of track connections. Go to the Energy Skate Park: Basics website to try your luck: Click on the last icon, "Playground".
* Describe what you have learned about roller coaster design in your notebook. Title: Virtual Roller Coaster Design IDeas
(Questions: Were you able to design a roller coaster model that works? What problems did you have?